Sunday, December 6, 2015

OMG Wasabi Ice Cream

One of the most memorable experiences of the Japan Study tour was going to the Daioh Wasabi Farm. I have never been a fan of wasabi, and had avoided eating it at all costs in the past. However, seeing how much care and effort went into growing wasabi, and listening to Wasabi Master Hama made growing wasabi sound like an art form. Considering how specific growing conditions needed to be it’s understandable that people made careers out of it.

            So many of us in the group were so inspired by the work ethic of the wasabi farm that we wanted to try some of their products. We had gotten there late in the afternoon so many of the food stalls were closed, so many resorted to trying the wasabi ice cream. I had told myself that I would not purchase my own, seeing as I greatly disliked wasabi, but I felt compelled to get one like everyone else. Everyone was saying it tasted good, and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. So that left many of us eating wasabi ice cream cones in mid-forty-degree weather.

            The taste wasn’t horrible; on the contrary it actually tasted pleasant. It had all the flavor of wasabi, but without the spicy “bite” one would expect. I could only describe it as weird. I nursed that cone for about half an hour due to the chilly weather, so when it came time to board the bus, I was told that my ice cream was not allowed on. In an effort to prevent further delay, I promptly ate the (large amount) of remaining ice cream as fast as I could, and that’s when the tears started. Eating the wasabi ice cream in small bites tasted fine, but in large mouthfuls the full brunt of the wasabi flavor hit my taste buds with a vengeance. My tongue was burning and tingling and my eyes were involuntarily watering. There was no trash can in sight so the only thing I could do was suffer through. I boarded that bus looking like a hot mess. Definitely an unforgettable experience.

            So lesson learned: it’s always good to try new things, just do so in moderation.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment