Wednesday, December 23, 2015

East Capital Adventure

Stepping off the plane after seven long and dehydrated hours was the best feeling in my life. As I breathed in the smells of Japan it was as I had stepped into a dream that was now my reality.

Was I really here? I couldn’t believe it and I would have asked for someone to pinch me but the cold weather was enough to shake me into realizing that I was actually in Japan. All my years of hoping to visit Japan have come true and I was no longer in Honolulu.

As our bus drove through the small and complex roads of Japan, I glanced out the window. Although I was staring at a whole new world, it reminded me of home. It was welcoming.
After checking into the Dai-Itchi Hotel and eating dinner, we were given the chance to explore with no restrictions (besides an 11 pm curfew).

Fortunately I was able to spend this experience with my older sister so in a way it was comforting to have her there and it gave me a strong sense of safety.

As we walked the streets of Tokyo I was able to see that although Tokyo and Hawaii may have similarities, they also had their differences. The roads were clean and smelled decent (most of the time) even though there weren’t any public trash cans insight. The roads were small and the cars were smaller. The time itself was around 8 at night, yet the night sky was lit by the streetlights that guided students, businessmen, and housewives to their destination.

As I walked into stores I realized that even though this was Tokyo, a city compared to America’s New York City, the part I was seeing wasn’t as crazy as I expected.

Around almost every corner a convenience store could be found; a Lawsons or a 7i and holdings (which was a 711). To most in Japan a convenience store isn’t so thrilling, but to me it was amazing. The variety of boxed coffees and juices, there were all sorts of teas even a convenient pre-made boba drink. There ice cream was fancy, topped with fruit and chocolate, compared to drumsticks and ice cream sandwiches back at home. The bentos looked like home cooked meals packaged and placed on the shelf. It was a wonderful sight to see.

As I walked through stores I saw that the people there were friendly and kind and understanding to the fact that I had no idea what they were saying. Even though I know some Japanese, it was a whole different story seeing it in action at its homeland.
 View from our drive to Dai-Itchi Hotel.
 First meal in Tokyo.
 Food!

Boba Tea at 7i and Holdings.

My first impressions I will never forget. My misconceptions have been fixed and I can wholeheartedly say that Japan is a wonderful place and that Tokyo is something worth traveling for.

No comments:

Post a Comment