Monday, December 14, 2015

My Homestay Experience

         I was fortunate enough to have had Miyazaki family to be my homestay host. They welcomed 5 girls who they never met into their home with so much warmth. Spending 2 nights with them, made me feel like I was part of their family. They brought us to many places such as picking apples, eating oyaki, taking us to the ski lift, and eating gelato. Not to mention, all of these was a first time for me.
         The first thing on the agenda was to harvest apples. I was very excited because I have never seen nor picked out an apple from its roots. Okaasan drove us all to their own apply tree. The tree was covered with beautiful apples surrounded by snow. I somehow felt like Snow White. Okaasan first showed us how to correctly harvest the apples. After, we started harvesting. Once the basket was full, Okaasan told us to pick a small apples and eat them. By far, these were the freshest and sweetest apple I have ever taste, right out of the tree.
            Next, we head out to eat some traditional oyaki. The restaurant was located right on the edge of the hill and it looked very traditional. We walked into a room and sat around the fire where they cooked the oyaki. In front of us, there was an old lady who was making the oyaki and next to her was an old man cooking it. They served us 2 types of oyaki with miso soup, tea, and pickled   vegetables. The oyaki was so delicious, we asked for more. 
            Third, we headed to the ski lift. On the ride to the top of the mountain, we saw the beauty of Hakuba, Nagano. On top of the mountain, it was snowing. Everything was covered in snow. I jumped with joy because this is the very first time that I have experienced snow. I felt like I was a kid again. I laid on the snow and made snow angles. My homestay sisters and I even started a snowball fight. I had so much fun I wanted to stay longer.

            We then headed out to Okasaan's friend, Kikisan, house to eat some gelato. Not knowing, Kikisan’s house was right next to the gelato place. We were laughing because we had no idea how close it was. They served many varieties of gelato. After we getting our gelato’s we walked to Kikisan’s house. Her house was very cozy. It had a mixed vibe of modern and vintage. We stayed there for an hour or so and made ourselves feel at home.


         Homestay was definetly my favorite part of the Japan Study Tour because I got to experience what it is like to live with a Japanese family. Also, I got to experience many new things like the ones I mentioned above. I will never forget Okaasan, Noesan, and Kikisan for treating as like real family. I never thought that within the short period of time, I would grow an attachment to them. Thank you for welcoming us to your home and family! Until we meet again!


No comments:

Post a Comment